Tuesday, July 12, 2011

For my niece

Ta-da!!  I upcycled an old dress shirt of my brother-in-law's to make a shirt for their daughter who is 3 years younger than Amelia. This was my inspiration. I really intended to add the buttons, but I liked the open feeling of this. (Hope you do too) It's a little small on Amelia but I was glad she modeled it for me lots of times so I could figure out the fit. Did I mention, no pattern?!?!  I am rather impressed with myself. Just looked and made.  The shirt also had some little stains on it that I had to avoid, which made it a little more interesting to cut out.  The sides have a panel to make it wide enough to fit and avoid the stains.  (You can't see it in the pic) but it's one of the little things I really like about it.  I just struggled with the neck and finally gave in to putting in the ribbon.  Then voila, it bunched the way I wanted and was functional.  I made this while Philip was gone late one night and it was so fun to try 2 new things with my machine: sew with the elastic thread and use the double needle. I am totally addicted. It's not completely tailored, but not too bad for not having a serger. I just wish I had finished it for the 4th!!  Sorry little Audrey. Maybe she will fit in it again next year.  Hopefully it brings a little smile to her papa seeing his little girl run around in an old shirt of his.  Thanks for giving me a fun project Annie!!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!!! I wanted to run and show Justin but resisted...it'll be a much more fun surprise in person! I love that the rouching is in the front AND back. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. I couldnt wait. Justin says he's happy to see his shirt reincarnated as a girls shirt. Good work!!! (perfect stitches, BTW)

    ReplyDelete