Thursday, January 13, 2011

A cute flop I am still trying to think of ways to save instead of walking away, admitting my defeat

 Amelia got a dollhouse for Christmas.  We didn't get any furniture for it because I thought they would be good incentives and gifts through out the year.  On Christmas day after hours of playing with an empty house, I felt like they needed something, so Amelia and I crafted a bed out of a box and a crib for the babies to share.  We sewed some blankies and a crib skirt and then I sewed some bedding and glued it down to the box and voila, the house seemed so much less empty.  We looked for a bed set to buy, and I just didn't like the set that went with the house, so you know me, I took it as a challenge to make my own.  I found this idea for a farmhouse style doll bed on the knockoffwood blog (now is http://ana-white.com/)  I thought how cute it would be in her dollhouse and I could make a little blanket and the idea in my head was so cute.  Then I went to the one craft store and bought what I thought would work, dug up my wood glue and some old old nails and made it.  It was a disaster.  No saw, wood splitting, forgot to measure in the middle so it's too big for the house and dolls and there is an uneven space on each side of he mattress part, crooked legs, holes and oh the holes.  Then I painted it thinking it would cover up all the ugliness.  3 coats later and lacquer and my old nails rusted, so there are big obvious nail marks now.  And 1 day after it sat in the dollhouse, Ben got a hold of it and the leg split.  If it lasts the rest of the month I will be impressed.  I suppose we will go back to the box one or the prefab plastic.  (Unless I feel like I have learned from my mistakes and get the proper supplies to try again.  Just not sure if it's worth my time and effort.)  I have learned.  So many problems from the start I could go on, but I won't.  I am off to do something on my list today.






2 comments:

  1. I am your first stalker...I mean follower, yeah! I think this bed is adorable and I can't believe you made it without having a saw or anything. It's really great. I hate it when crafts don't work out like we want them too. Its really irritating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I think its way cute. I think its most definitely worth another shot once that one beats the dust due to the kids breaking it. Did you use house paint or acrylic? I bet regular latex would cover the nails like a charm. And putty is such a friend in a project like that because it doesnt have to look perfect until after you paint it all. I love the scallops and cant even figure out how you made it w/out a saw!

    ReplyDelete