Wednesday, April 6, 2011

latest projects

 I painted some plastic Easter eggs to look like blue bird eggs (I think that is what they are supposed to be???)  My crafty and talented sister-in-law gave me the nest and the small white egg and the light blue ones and I love them so much I wanted more.  Her's are so much better.  I didn't want to splatter because I didn't want the mess inside and my eggs look less real.  I may still go and splatter, or just deal.
 I attempted to make some knobs for a wall hanging I am in the process of creating.  I used the fabric from Amelia's dress, painted some empty thread bobbins and put diamond glaze on it to make it seem like porcelain.  Total flop.  I saw the idea of wood bobbins as hooks on a rack and loved it and the idea of door knobs and loved it so I tried to combine the 2.  I still may try again, but with wood.  The plastic bobbins I had on hand were not good.  Try again later.
 I am sure you have seen these peeps buntings all over the craft blogging world, but I LOVE peeps.  I was so excited when the started making them every season.  They are one of the truly gross holiday traditions I love to keep doing.  Philip loves his stale.  I love mine frozen. The vanilla creme flavor I found at Valentine's is the best. Even after seeing Amelia throw these up her first Easter, I still want to eat them.  So I love my little homage to them in non edible form.  Makes my mouth water when I pass by.  I didn't want sew, or buy supplies, so I used some flannel scraps I have.  You know the ends you cut off the selvage when you make a blanket straight.  It was the perfect size to make these.  Because flannel frays, I used iron on fusible tape to stick them together and keep the edges from fraying.  Then used the same to attach the ribbon I had on hand.  Then painted the eyes and nose with just plain old acrylic.  Voila.  I cut and fused while watching my new favorite show, Chopped, and then finished it off the next morning.  Easy peasy. (and I apologize for the ugly pic.  I didn't feel like taking it down and yes, that is the paint job in our dining room.  someone's attempt at crafty, but I'm not judging.  I have been known to do ugly things like this, just look above!!!)
 I painted some jars blue from an idea I got from the blog modpodgerocks.  You basically dye mod podge with food coloring and paint.  You can see the lines from the brush, but it gives it a cool old school vibe.  Then I hung them inside my faux fireplace.  I hope to fill it up as I get more empty jars and remove the plant and have a cool jar lantern chandelier type thing.  It's a work in progress.  Someday I hope to use all these outside and hang from a tree for a garden party.  By the time I have a garden for a party, I should have collected enough jars!!!
 I also made one out of a smuckers jar and it's not the best, but I clamped it to a board with a dryer clamp.  I am still working on finishing the rest of the board and it hangs on my picture collage wall, but both are unfinished.  I will post pics when it is done.  Don't want to spoil it too much.
 Here's a close of up the better one in the fireplace.  This was a pickle relish jar.  I need to get my hands on some baby food ones now.  They are the cutest size.

I hung them up with twine and wrapped wired around the mouth to make the lantern handle.
And, I love my rose bushes.  These are 2 that I cut yesterday and I have a ton more.  I just didn't want to cut too many off plus they are covered in aphids.  I have been trying to get rid of them, but not been successful yet.  I am honestly not really trying that hard.  But we have white, a really pretty pink, this peachy one, the dark red and a bright red.  Adds some nice color to the back and the kids love coming out every day to see how many have opened.  My favorite rose is still the purple ones that are called sterling silver.  But this peachy one comes pretty close.  It's so pretty.  And who doesn't love a classic deep red rose.  Remember my wedding flowers???

4 comments:

  1. Those roses are so pretty. I am loving those jars, especially the one on the wood. I was going to buy 1 like that off etsy but figured I could make one myself...still have never tried! Maybe after the move.

    I have never used diamond glaze but I have wanted too. I have seen some cool jewelry made with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So chopped is my favourite show too, I wished we lived closer and could watch an episode or 2 together. Super cute ideas. I always seemed to get aphids in my garden too, we just did this thing from insect lore where you send away for ladybug larve and the kids can watch them go from larve to ladybug, it was ok but because its cold here we couldn't release ours but it would be fun for you guys as you could release them onto your rosebush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW did you get cable or can you view chopped by some other means?

    ReplyDelete
  4. er, yes, me again! can you dilute the cider vinegar in water? when I had that cyst and at first didn't know but was feeling like crap I would chug down straight lemon juice because that cleanses your insides, lovely!!

    ReplyDelete