Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Little shout out

One of my college roomies is having her first baby girl (second child) in 43 days (according to her baby counter on her blog!!!) She is obsessed with U2, the band.  She lived in England for a year or 2 and while she was there she basically jaunted to Ireland to stalk band members and check out local bars and U2 history spots.  She also does not want pink or anything with big flower headbands.  Just not her.  So I wanted to make her something sweet that still gave a little shout out to U2 without being to obvious.  So here is my creation: a little sun dress with little leggings to match.  This pic makes it look so long.  I imagined it to be a newborn size, I hope it's not ridiculously too long. The leggings really will only show when the baby moves, but for the pic, they hang out making it seem long.  It's hard to make clothes for something you can't model!!



 Here's a close up of my Ireland with the heart over Dublin (that's where U2 is from for those not in the know about them).  It's not a perfect match, but that country has a very jagged coastline which makes for very hard stitching!!! Philip thought maybe I should stitch the word Dublin or Ireland on it to make it more clear.  I am torn.  I kind of like the cryptic nature of this, making it an inside thing for her and her close friends.  But then again, will it be embarrassing for her to take her baby out in it and have people think she is wearing some totally horrible interpretation of a bear??  That's what Amelia was calling it. Thoughts????
 The over the shoulder bow unties completely to help it get over little heads without stretching or being too low.  I used this tutorial but wanted it to be higher on the neck, so the usable bow was a good solution for me.  It's all jersey knit tee material, so it's soft, comfy, washable and breathable.
 I was going to make the leggings ruched, but they were so tiny, it wasn't working.  So I decided to leave it raw.  I kind of love the way raw jersey curls and looks too.  Plus it's easy with no serger!!

Hopefully her little baby looks cute in it and she can get some use out of it before it gets too cold. 

2 comments:

  1. How cute and creative. I love the tie at the top. I agree w/Phil and think embroidering Dublin or Ireland is a good idea so it's obviously a country. She'll love it.

    ReplyDelete