Sunday, June 5, 2011

Upcycle projects

Before and After

Here are 2 of my upcycled projects. I was totally inspired by this outfit.  I didn't take a before pic of the shirt before I started cutting and ripping it apart.  Too bad because it is such a good transformation.  It was pretty unflattering and actually in my maternity clothes because I thought maybe I could pull it off when I had a baby bump, but let's be honest, it still wouldn't have been very flattering.  It was baggy and had long turned up cuffed sleeves and a wrap around front with this tie that was literally 3 feet long.  My sister actually gave it to me because the woman who bought it had bought a bunch on sale and thought she would like some.  (That's a story in itself)  So she passed one on to me years ago and there is has sat in a box and I hate things sitting in boxes being unused.  I am a regular de-junker.  So I decided I would have a go at it and see what I could do. I altered it to actually flatter and fit my shape, made a button-up front, made the ruffles down the front and shortened the sleeves and re-cuffed them.  The material is a stretchy dress shirt fabric and was really nice and forgiving to work with.
The skirt I bought in probably 1997 from Old Navy.  Can you believe I am still hanging on to it.  Every time I wore it, I felt like I should be on an episode of 19 Kids and Counting so it has just sat in my closet unworn for too long.  I have put it in my donate pile many times but always pull it back out because it's so simple and in excellent condition and I never find something I like to replace it.  My solution, to lop off a good 20 inches or so and bring it more in the now.  Simple hem job for this but now I have a brand new outfit, tailored to me and with no shopping.  Stay tuned for what else I can manipulate into something I will actually wear.  I have about 10 shade shirts that are calling my name.  I just need to find the right project for them.

1 comment: