Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I could make this, right??

Yep, planning Ben's birthday "party" already. C'mon it's only 4 months away!!!  As you may have guessed, it's going to be pirate themed.  Since there are no kids his age that I know of (yep I am that anti-social), it will be a family party, so if any family wants to come visit over the 4th of July or after you can be part of the swashbuckling soiree.  So I thought for his gift I would get him a treasure chest toy box for all his cars and "guys" and then it would be a cute boy accessory for his room when he actually has his own some day.  So, do you think I can make this??
Doesn't look too hard and I have a saw now.  Just don't know if it's worth my time, but I love custom and making stuff they can have forever. This is her etsy shop.  Reasonable price, so maybe just leave it to the experts??  I actually just have no idea the cost of wood. That's my thought.

2 comments:

  1. Wood is cheap- it adds up in a surprising way, but all and all I think you could make this for $30 vs. 70 (50+shipping). That's a total guestimate. Im sure the wood would be much cheaper but after you buy stain, sand paper, nails i'm sure you'd be up to 30. I'm wondering how big this is. Does your saw do those curved lines for the top? If so, go for it. I'm sure you could NAIL this project. Harharhar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hhhmmmm...... it is only $50 but shipping is $20 which is almost 1/2 the cost of the chest. I imagine you would need a jigsaw for the semi-circle that is on the side and then looks almost as though its just straight pieces of wood some not as wide as others but those make the curve, if you do have to do something special it may begin to get complicated, you may need to be specific on the wood too in order to get the look and some wood is more flexible than others like plywood I think which may work good for the top. I found a tutorial here http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Simple-Treasure-Chest I think your crafty and driven enough to pull it off, can't wait to see it if you do, may even be worth a trip to CA for July 4th!!

    ReplyDelete