Tuesday, March 22, 2011

pics

Here is a little collage of the pics of Amelia's dress I made. Yay for a cocktail of oxy clean and shout and a good chance that they were washable crayons. The stains came out, no problems.

 When I was fitting her in it, she requested that the dress touch the floor. I made it as close as possible without being too ridiculous. I am happy.  Now she has lots of room to grow in it since her shoulders seem to stay the same size, even if she gets taller, it will still be a reasonable length. Seriously, I plan on her wearing this dress for the next year. I usually don't like making sleeves, but these were so easy and came out pretty cute. I used a New Look pattern of just a basic dress and then made up the bottom part and added the skinny belt.  I didn't have quite enough yardage to make the lining the blue color, so the inside is lined in the brown, but it looks nice because if it's turned up at all, you see no seams and lovely brown.  This although, made it a little trickier when I added the zipper, so it's a little wonky, but you would have to know to look.  And mostly when you take it off, it's noticeable. She mostly just wants to twirl in it and bends down to make it touch the floor when she's standing.  She loves it too.
Next, the princess shirt and Minnie headband I made her.

Yep,I made a shirt. Why, you ask? It all started when I thought it would be cute to have a stenciled picture of  Zurg (the evil nemesis of Buzz Lightyear from Toy story 2) on a tee for Ben.  He loves scary guys and robots, so Zurg is the coolest. Plus he needs a new favorite tee. I can only wash his current favorite the monster shirt so many times a week!!  When I said I was going to make Ben a shirt, of course Amelia needed one as well.  So I agreed.  We went to 5 different stores with Amelia (before lunch, so could have been a disaster, but they were really good, but that shows you how committed I am to please this girl) to find her a Disney Princess shirt. Every store was out of her size.  Lots of options, no sizes for her. Apparently disney princess shirts in size 4T (even 3T and 5T were out) are a big hit. Every store had a minnie mouse shirt or just one princess. And super cute ones to boot, but she was set on a princess one with 3 princesses or more. I ended up getting one at target that fit her criteria but it was in size 2T. I figured it would be a backup. Yes a 2T fits her, but it is snug and when she raises her hands, a little short. Basically she would wear it for Disneyland and nothing more. Plus it was a little see through and short sleeved and it is supposed to be a little cold and rainy.  It was not going to work.  So I took a picture from the internet and printed it out then held the shirt over it on a window and traced Belle with fabric markers. I figured if I didn't like it, I was about to toss this shirt anyway, I was out nothing. I ended up kind of liking the uneven hand drawn quality of it. Amelia loved it, so that is all that mattered.  She wanted 2 more princesses, but I had a limited color palette, so I agreed to add Ariel.  It was great because her red hair covered up a stain!!  So yucky shirt, now her favorite and good enough for our trip.  Cost me nothing. Yay!!
And you already know about my troubles with the headband.  Geesh.  Now Disneyland attire done. (did I mention, we found Ben an off the rack, pre-made shirt at Target with every Toy Story 3 character including mr potato head dressed up as a pirate.  Talk about the perfect shirt for Ben and me, no sewing or drawing necessary.  If he's not being a robot, he is being a pirate, and he's a mighty good one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment