Friday, March 11, 2011

When you get a bag of oranges......

...make orange rolls!!!!
I got a bag of these and they were too ripe to peel and eat.  So I used them up in my favorite way.  Is it bad that I see fresh fruit as a delicious dessert, never just to eat fresh???  I also made a pitcher of fresh orange juice, nothing added and it was delicious.  Kids can't get enough.
I decided to try this recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe blog because I love her recipes and I have to agree with her that I prefer an orange roll to a cinnamon roll any day.  I even thought I would try the figure 8 shape twist she does.  Since I had to make it dairy free, I made a few adjustments and the dairy free margarine just was too runny and oozed everywhere.  This is what I end up with in my oven.  But they looked cute, just not full of ooey gooey orange stuff. So the second pan I made traditional cinnamon roll style and that was a little better.  Note for next time.
Since no one in my family thinks orange rolls are as good as I do, I have managed to eat most of them.  I think the key to the perfect citrus anything is the zest. I zested 4 oranges instead of 2 because mine were home grown and had a lot of spots on them.  But I also like it really zesty.  Can't you just smell that??? mmm.
Luckily this made only a rather small batch (unlike the cinnamon roll recipe I normally make which I only make if I can give half away it is so much) and we had some visitors for dinner last night who took a few off my hands.  This is all that's left, but not for long!!!! Try not to lick your screen.

2 comments:

  1. Yum, I want to lick my computer screen...somehow I don't think that will be quite the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK totally trying the orange rolls today, Eric's parents brought us some oranges last night, today is a lazy day at home as school is off for a snow make up day, watching movies and making orange rolls, the only thing to make today more perfect would be if it rained. Have you thought about candied orange peel? a good way to use up the peel if you juice the orange.

    ReplyDelete